In a recent article, Entrepreneur Magazine talked about the value of winning industry-specific awards and advised that businesses that are targeted at a niche group of customers should go after awards that highlight their expertise in that area. Winning an industry award—like NARI’s CotY— can help create a buzz about your business by giving customers something to talk about. Industry awards can be a valuable addition to your marketing arsenal, to reinforce the endorsements from satisfied customers.
Five Tips to Market Your Awards
Here are a few suggestions to help you promote your CotY award:
- Press releases: There are a number of free press release services you can use to distribute your release. These include Free Press Release Online and PR.com. NARI National can supply you with a template press release as well as media lists to target where to send your release. Don’t forget to send to your local newspapers’ managing editor.
- E-mail marketing: Include the news of the award in your e-mail newsletters. Share the story behind your award and why you won. Include a link back to your award press release.
- Use the award logo: Use the CotY logos and the phrase “award-winning” in your online advertising, put them on your direct mail pieces, include them on your business cards, display them on your home page, and include them in your bio or on your about page. The more prominent you make them, the better your business will look.
- Social media: Post links to the NARI national website where we list the winners; you might also link to your own press release. Do this on all of your social media sites. For example, include quick links on Twitter and post the press release on Facebook. You will also want to list the awards you have won on your LinkedIn company page.
- Use your storefront as a showcase: Whether you’re an online-only business or you have a physical retail store, display your awards. Ensure that employees and customers see your awards by framing them, displaying them on a stand or putting a sticker on your window. It doesn’t have to be hokey, just prominent.
Media Coverage We’ve Googled so far:
Below is a sampling of some of the press coverage our regional CotY winners are receiving in many different platforms: articles, blogs, websites, wire services, and TV. Take a look at some of the coverage-it may give you additional ways to spread the word.
Over the next weeks and months CotY coverage will continue and begin to show up in media with longer lead times, like magazines. If we missed your CotY coverage, please share it with us at marketing@NARi.org.
* Examples of how our NARI chapters promote both the CotY regional and national awards on their website, in addition to local awards. Check your local chapter’s website.
Marketing Forum Call
Whether you’ve won numerous awards or are curious about learning how other companies are getting media attention, join us on our next Marketing Forum discussion on Thursday, March 19 at 2 pm CST. Register in advance at marketing@NARI.org.
For more information, visit the NARI website or contact us at 847-298-9200.-Susan Swartz